The C.L. Davids Fond og Samling was founded on 12 December 1945. Christian Ludvig David (1878-1960) left a modest collection chiefly of ceramics, among which were some Islamic pieces. During Andre Leth's period as director of the foundation (1962-85), other fields within Islamic art were cultivated, and a concerted effort was made in the 1980s to build up a collection of miniature paintings, to which almost all resources were dedicated under his successor (Kjeld von Folsach). A new gallery for the miniature paintings was created in 1990. The collection now contains 50 Persian paintings from the Shahnama, all in single sheets, including some from the Inju ms. of 1341, the Shah Tahmasp (Houghton) Shahnama and the copy made for Shah Isma'il II.
There are also two bound codices, acquired in 2006.
Kjeld von Folsach, Art from the world of Islam in the David Collection, Copenhagen, 2001, pp. 29-35.
Idem, For the privileged few. Islamic miniature painting from the David Collection, Copenhagen, 2007.
Joachim Meyer & Peter Wandel, Shahnama. The colorful epic about Iran's past, Copenhagen, 2016.
Applications for a copy of a photo or permission to reproduce it should be addressed to The David Collection, 30-32 Kronprinsessegade, DK - 1306, Copenhagen K., Denmark; email: firstname.lastname@example.org